TO: Heads of Departments, Bureaus, Offices and the Instrumentalities of the National Government, Local Governments, State Colleges and Universities and Government-Owned and/or Controlled Corporations
SUBJECT: Implementation of National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) Resolution No. 4-88 on the Clearance of Statistical Survey Forms/Questionnaires Pursuant to Sec. 5 (a) and (d) of Executive Order No. 121
This circular is issued to implement Resolution No 4-88 of the NSCB pertaining to statistical survey forms review and clearance system for surveys sponsored and/or conducted by government agencies and whose sample size is at least 500 households and/or 200 establishments. The resolution was passed by the Board in pursuance of Sec. 5 (a) and (d) of Executive Order No. 121, “Strengthening of the Philippine Statistical System,” to wit:
“Sec. 5. Powers and Functions. The NSCB shall have the following powers and functions:
- Promote and maintain an efficient statistical system in the government;
- Establish appropriate mechanism for statistical coordination at the regional, provincial and city levels.”
The absence of a mechanism to monitor forms and questionnaires used in statistical surveys has led to problems involving statistical data reliability and consistency, unnecessary burden on respondents and unnecessary duplication of activities. To correct these problems, there is a need to implement a statistical survey forms clearance and monitoring mechanism which would entail review of the survey technical aspects and assignment of clearance numbers to each of the survey forms and questionnaires used with an expiry date.
3.1 Major: To promote the orderly development of the Philippine Statistical System
- To ensure sound design for statistical data collection;
- To minimize the burden required upon respondents;
- To effect economy in statistical data collection;
- To eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection;
- To achieve coordination of government statistical activities; and
- To inform the private sector and the public in general that a government survey operation has passed clearance and to enjoin their cooperation to said surveys.
4. IMPLEMENTING GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
The NSCB Secretary-General is hereby directed to prepare and disseminate the necessary guidelines and procedures to effect the survey forms and questionnaires clearance mechanism.
5. EFFECTIVITY. This Circular shall take effect immediately.
April 27, 1988